The House dates back to 1107, and was originally a hunting lodge for the Kings and Queens of Scotland and later became a refuge for Catholic priests in times of terror.
The Stuarts of Traquair supported Mary Queen of Scots and the Jacobite.
The famous Bear Gates have been closed since 1745 and will remain so until a Stuart monarch once again sits on the throne of the United Kingdom :
Dool an' sorrow hae fa'en Traquair,
An' the Yetts that were shut at Chairlie's comin'
He vowed wad be opened nevermair
Till a Stuart King was crooned in Lunnon.
There's lots to do for all ages at Traquair - there is a maze in the garden which young and old will love, The house is beautiful as are the gardens. There are craft workshops and a restaurant. See Traquair website for more details.
Contact Details :
Please mention that you found us through the 'Royal Burgh' website.
Innerleithen, Tweeddale, EH44 6PW
Tel : 01896 830323
Web : www.traquair.co.uk
Email : Click here to email