Built upon a steep sided mound which has seen many changes of use.
The flat summit was occupied by the castle of Peebles, known to have been in existence by 1152, hence the name castlehill, and used as a Royal hunting lodge. It disappeared during the middle ages. In 1778 a parish church was erected on the site and was replaced in 1885 by the existing church with its 'crown' steeple and crow-step gables and chiming clock.
Historical content : taken from the Town Walk