Built upon a steep sided mound which has seen many changes of use.
The flat summit was occupied by the castle of Peebles, known to have been in existence by 1152, hence the name castlehill, and used as a Royal hunting lodge. It disappeared during the middle ages.
The Sheriff Court House was formerly the County Rooms and a jail. Its old cells are still there but have not been in use since 1878.
Historical content : taken from the Town Walk